Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 March 2011

Cleopatra. Iconic legend or asthetically correct?

A night at the ballet...........................


After a lovely evening out at the ballet I thought I would have to blog about it and share with you my thoughts connected to my lines of developing enquiry.
I went to watch Northern Ballet’s new production of ‘Cleopatra’ at Leeds Grand Theatre.
I thoroughly enjoyed the production overall, I used to dance with Northern Ballet Theatre as an associate before training at Bird and I have always admired them as a ballet company as there are a lot of contemporary dance influences and they are always coming up with new ideas for productions and do push the boundaries of traditional ballet with their ideas of developing ballet as a piece of dramatic theatre, music and choreography! 'Dracula' and 'Hamlet' are perfect examples.
I thought the choreography and music were beautiful last night and the dancer playing Cleopatra was an amazing dancer and very inspiring. There were some amazing pas de deux and core numbers. I was, however, trying to view it thinking of some of the issues I have raised in relation to the body image of the dancer.
Cleopatra herself was one of history’s most iconic idols.She represented herself as the reincarnation of an Egyptian goddess, Isis. She is always put forward as a great beauty and her successive conquests of the world's most powerful men ( Julius Ceasar and Mark Anthony) are taken to be proof of her aesthetic and sexual appeal.


"For she was a woman of surpassing beauty, and at that time, when she was in the prime of her youth, she was most striking; she also possessed a most charming voice and a  knowledge of how to make herself agreeable to every one. Being brilliant to look upon and to listen to, with the power to subjugate every one.” Cassius Dio (XLII 34)

Great beauty or not she has left a legacy behind her of being regarded as so.

Perhaps the most famous protrayal of  Cleopatra is in the film starring Elizabeth Taylor who was a voluptuous iconic star of the 1950’s who was renowned as being one the most beautiful women of that era complete with curves and sex appeal.
 


The ballerina playing Cleopatra did not live up to this description, however she was aesthetically your perfect ballet dancer’s shape – flat chested, skinny legs and straight down. I think in some ways this spoiled the illusion and idea of her as arguably one of the most beautiful, sensual and seductive women in history as well as one of the most powerful as the last Egyptian Pharoh. She supposedly had a charismatic personality, was a born leader and an ambitious monarch.

The character was not portrayed with any real conviction.  She was a beautiful ballet dancer but not a real image that one would expect of Cleopatra. You could not believe the tiny little girl on stage could kill her own brother to take the throne of Egypt and then systematically ensnare Julius Ceasar and Mark Anthony. If we are to believe the legend she was so powerful that when she entered a room, Cleopatra was captivating and eluring to everyone with an unpresidented presence. I imagine you knew you were in the presence of a 'goddess'.

Isn’t it time if ballet is to move its boundaries to be more accessible and theatrical then they must change the attitude in relation to body image too?


I couldn’t help thinking what if they were to do a ballet about Marilyn Monroe?  
The same could be said for the ensemble dancers in some of the company numbers. The costumes were tiny skirts and bras showing off some very skeletal body shapes. As an audience you were able to see bones especially ribs and jutting frames. Some of the choreography was sexy and seductive but it didn’t come across this way as it was being performed by ‘twigs in a pretty costume’ [my description].  They were not convincing as 'sexy sirens' or womanly  -  more little girls in a sexy costume.
It did make me clearly see that I wouldn’t want to look like that even though dancing is important to me and I work endlessly at perfecting my fitness, technique and performance, I would actually like to fill out a lovely piercing blue costume like that and feel attractive and sensual in it.
I love watching ballerinas perform and I always think they’re beautiful with an individual elegance and beauty but many of the lead women characters that are portrayed in ballets except a few (Clara from The Nutcracker) are supposed to be beautiful women who have numerous admirers and someone with a ballet dancer’s physique does not bring this across to the audience.
Perhaps from a ballet perspective we have to believe it is the dancing that subjugates everyone but there are dancers with the correct sensual features who could be equally amazing ballet dancers! Or is this a delusionists attitude?  
So, as I said I really enjoyed the production from a ballet point of view but as a believable piece of dramatic theatre it falls short in realism. I would definitely recommend that you go see it but you will certainly see what I mean whilst you’re watching. The set was a bit of a let down too.
The more I reflect on this line of inquiry I come back to the same conclusion that dancers must be exceedingly slender and you either cut it or you don’t. The wispy thin look continues to be the aesthetic standards set in the ballet world and considering the pressure put on dancers it is no wonder thinness becomes an obsession. These are the realities of professional standards and the sylph like look, particularly in ballet, I think will prevail. The changes that are more visible in the contemporary world of dance where diversity and realism are embraced more I think are a long way off in ballet!    

3 comments:

  1. Hi. I was thinking about your comments at the end about how other body shapes are embraced much more in contemporary than ballet. I think you are totally right. I then (randomly) started to think about the opera. To me the opera is on a level with the ballet in that they are both classical, traditional, high art forms. Fifteen years ago the opera was very much like the ballet in how it went about casting people. The opera would cast a fifty year old, fat man as the juvenile lead in something because they could sing it the best. It was irrelevant that they were completely inappropriate for the part. Ballet I think still casts its ballerinas like this. They want technically the best dancers in the role and those with what they consider to be the perfect ballet body, irrelevant of how suitable they are for the part. I suppose it comes down to what people want from the ballet or the opera. Do they want to see someone dance or sing incredibly and look how they imagine a ballet dancer or opera singer should look? Or do they want to see a more integrated piece of theatre where the casting adds to the believability of the piece. With regards to opera there has been a shift recently (in the last ten years) towards more believable casting. For example, the new opera 'Anna Nicole' is cast with huge consideration for the way the lead looks. She is playing someone who was extremely well known by the pubic so any other casting would be ridiculous. Perhaps if opera can slowly make this shift to more believable casting then ballet can too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you.
    And I would love to see the ballet come into this era like the opera has started to.
    Ballet is slowly running out of classical ballet and is trying to move forward with more modern ideas for ballets but it's doing this then it needs to look at the 'dancer' and suitability to make roles believable for an audience. I think Balenchine has had it's run controlling the ballet image and it's time to move forward especially if ballet is to become more accessable to the more general public as an art form and be to throughly entertaining.
    Going to see Matthew Bourne's Cinderella on Wednesday set in war time 1940's Britain - I'll blog a critic.... Watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete