Search This Blog

Thursday 3 March 2011

“Ugly Duck versus Beautiful Swan?”

As I was out on my run this morning my head was swimming with developing ideas for my lines of inquiry. I ran around a local beauty spot where there is a lake and decided to stop as I approached a part of the water where there were some swans and ducks.


I sat and watched for a few minutes contemplating the swans and then the ducks.
No doubt about it I had to admit the swans are more pleasing to the eye than the ducks. They are so tall, beautiful and graceful and glide on the water so elegantly while the ducks, whilst quite cute, don’t quite cut it – small, brown, dowdy and heavy by comparison.


I couldn’t help but think is there a connection here with my line of enquiry and what is expected by an audience of how a dancer should look?   

1 comment:

  1. I like how you have explored the dancers image in a completely different way, its fantastic how you have explored your lines of enquiry so thoroughly and have even connected it to things around you that aren't obvious to the eye .
    I can also see this in a example, a few days ago I was walking down one of the candy isles in the shopping mall contemplating on which bar of chocolate to buy :)Being in a foreign country I had no idea how any of them tasted and had never recognized a single brand. Overall I went on appearance. There were many different types some with dull and cheap looking wrappers and others which stood out with bright inviting wrappers, all seemed to be roughly the same sort of price. The end result ... I went for the one the one that looked the most appealing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete