Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 December 2010

Connectivism……………….

I have just read Mark’s blog on Connectivism which made me think again about this way of learning. I agree with Mark it is quite a confusing and difficult concept especially all the technical bit about nodes but I found the definition on Wikipedia the easiest to understand;

“Connectivism is based on the premise that knowledge exists in the world rather than in the head of an individual.”


“It is learning for the digital age as learning methods have changed as technology has affected how we live and how we communicate.”


Therefore my understanding of this theory is that it is knowing where to find information and to maintain connections to learn. In simple terms we are learning by plugging into existing networks – ie; e mail, communities, conversations, web search, email lists, reading blogs etc.  I think most of us have been learning through this method for a long time but just haven’t analysed the theory as “Connectivism”. As I have read many blogs of other students we all have identified that  we use the internet to find information, we communicate via email and network through social websites such as Facebook  and through these main methods we set up networks of contacts.

I think this method of learning puts a lot of responsibility on the individual student as you have to think independently for yourself and assimilate and retain the knowledge and skills but I think on the plus side you can learn a lot more from the interests and experiences shared with other students as the theories are applied to practical experiences which I think you remember more than facts presented to you as a transfer of information in a traditional lecture scenario. They are linked to people’s everyday experiences of “real life” and you can empathise with them more than mere theories.

David Cohen (1989) said, “Teaching is telling, knowledge is facts and learning is recall.”

Students teach and learn from each other by telling their stories – this may be a very simplistic personal view of connectivism but that’s how I’ve put it into context and translated it to understand it if this helps anyone else understand it.

 I think the down side is you can feel quite isolated as you are reliant on tutors and students conversing with you and giving feedback which I touched on in my “Crisis? What crisis?” blog.

I think you can be left feeling uneasy about the outcomes when spontaneous discussion doesn’t happen and a little sceptical as to whether there is a real interest in your comments or are people responding in kind, ie: going through the motions to complete “tasks”?.


References:

The Networked Professional Course Reader - Middlesex University

2 comments:

  1. Your wikipedia quote about connectivism makes sense to me because it talks about 'knowledge' existing in the world rather than the individual. My problem with connectivism is some quotes talk abut 'learning' existing in the world rather than the individual. It's this that I don't agree with. To me learning is about comprehension and understanding and these are personal things that happen within a person. I agree that we all now use technology as a tool to learning and as a way extend out understanding by making connections between similar ideas. I do still think however that if a concept is completely new to a person there is no way for them to truly grasp it without either having an experience of it or in some way linking to an experience they have had. This is why I find social constructionism more pleasing as a theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that discussion does play a vital role in the learning process , especially for me - I think to relate any theory to real life experience is far easier to understand and by sharing ideas gives us a deeper understanding of a subject. For me it makes me think of things I may not have thought of for myself and to argue my opinions. I think we get more of a feeling of community by talking together.

    I was interested Amanda was feeling a bit like she was posting into a vacumn too and so I left her a comment but I am fascinated by some of the stories and experiences, as a novice in the industry, looking up to you more experienced guys - it does connect you I think to know you're not alone in your thoughts and feelings and that most of us share the same hopes and dreams but also experience similar frustrations and setbacks and by sharing those connections we learn from each other - I suppose this is what you are saying about "linking into the experience".

    Emily

    ReplyDelete