Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 December 2010

Did Facebook kill the Christmas Card ?

Read an interesting article in the Metro paper whilst travelling to panto on the tube which suggests  we are all receiving and sending less Christmas cards  and instead putting a post on Facebook without the bother of choosing cards, writing them and then sending them and of course the saving on the cost of the cards and postage.  
The Christmas tree is up and the presents bought and wrapped and the parties are in full swing but what about the traditional Christmas cards? Are our mantel pieces bare?
I think it is rather sad. Whilst Facebook, email and Twitter are fine for quick catch ups I don’t think they compare to the handwritten genuine article. I think it is much more personal and nice to choose something original and personal for the ones you love. According to Cosmopolitan your choice of Christmas card can say a lot about you as a person!
I have sent out cards to all my close friends back in Yorkshire as I am in London doing panto for the festive season and I haven’t had one card back just messages on Facebook saying thanks for the card and a Merry Christmas to you too!
Does anyone else feel we need some Christmas card love even in this technical age ?   
When I was a kid it was always assumed if someone who normally sent a card didn’t , they were either dead, or in jail and if someone committed something bad you’d say they were being “struck off the Christmas card list!”. You even got cards from the local butcher and the milkman. We got so many cards by Christmas Eve there were strings around every wall of the living room!
On Christmas Day I know my Blackberry will be filled with Happy Christmas messages but I think there’s more to Christmas than that.
 Anyway I wish  all you fellow BAPPers  a wonderful and peaceful Christmas and if like me you feel the need for some Christmas Card love you can print this out and stick it to your mantel piece !!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,

    This is so strange as I was thinking this earlier! I find it depressing that the only christmas card i got was from my nanna! When I was little our house was filled with christmas cards and due to facebook I sadly believe these days are long gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I know it's such a shame...
    I only received cards from my close family this year and some of my friends didn't even send a text or message via the Web!! What's happening??
    I always remember sending and receiving so many cards when I was in school..
    Hope you had a lovely Christmas anyway.. Let's see what happens in the New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily,
    Great point and like Stacey I too thought that about Facebook! It's always funny how nowadays we seem to wish a Merry Christmas via text and not verbally. Also tonight - I'm thinking that all mobile networks will be down as everyone will be sending Happy New Year messages via mobiles - are people sending you a Happy New Year text as they genuinely wish that for you or just because they are sending a round robin to all their contacts in their phonebook!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very true. I didn't receive many messages for New Year or Christmas. A lot of people actually just type a small message into their status. And most messages are sent to everyone in their phonebooks.... It's a shame.

    ReplyDelete