Search This Blog

Sunday 31 October 2010

In the "Spotlight" .........

Due to a very hectic and busy week I haven’t found much time to write in my blog and reply to comments, so I’m currently catching up with things and getting back to people.

Something I've been meaning to discuss on my blog for a while is about casting agencies which use Web 2.0 and I was reminded of this this week as I have recieved a casting call. I presume most people within the entertainment industry are aware of the site called Spotlight which is a professional site where actors, dancers, presenters etc. create themselves a profile to advertise and promote themselves to agents, casting directors and other professionals. You, as a performer, control what directors and producers see and you can update your information as and when you choose, adding pictures, show reels and voice clips to promote yourself and give viewers an idea of yourself as a performer. Spotlight is controlled through a pin system. Each individual is given two pin numbers; a view pin number which is for you, yourself to view your profile so you can see how it looks and decide what you want to update if necessary and an update pin number which you use to apply for jobs and also to update and change your individual profile and information.
Spotlight as a site itself forward auditions and castings through to your email address, they’re supposed to be things they believe you’re suitable for that match your profile details, saying that I have been sent emails for castings for an Asian American 80 year old with a fragile and frail physique and male roles!!
For someone in the profession such as myself it is a great way of communicating and promoting yourself – it’s also easier to pick up on auditions and castings rather than having to travel for half an hour to the nearest WHSmith’s to buy The Stage paper and it saves time searching around on the net.
I was starting to get a little disheartened with the site as I have applied for a lot of things through Spotlight and have heard nothing back so I was contemplating what all the hype was all about. Finally though I have got myself a casting for an adult pantomime in the West End over Christmas which I’m travelling down tomorrow morning to go to. I’m really excited about it actually as the director of the production contacted me himself and the production sounds like an absolute blast!! So fingers crossed! It’s only fringe work but it’s experience, something to put on my    CV and it’s in the heart of London’s West End whilst I am waiting for my casting call from Mr Royal Caribbean!
The only downside to Spotlight is there is a fee! Which to an unemployed member who is struggling in the industry can be rather hard. The current cost is £168 per year but as a graduate member I got my first years membership for half price. The other downside is that some auditions and castings are called within the next few days or even the next day and when you are not currently residing in London (where most auditions and castings are held) this also becomes an issue as train fares are not the cheapest of things and it can be hard to arrange time to get there at such short notice!
Another site which I am currently a member of is StarNow Casting.....
....which is very similar to Spotlight. I paid £35 for a 6 month trial and every week receive an email advertising a range of different jobs for me to apply for. I’ve applied for quite a number of things off this site although I haven’t had much response from anything, only to be told about a few auditions that were taking place. Yet again you are given a profile in which you can update pictures and information and can add show reels and audio footage. I think these sites are pros of Web 2.0 technology because as a professional you are controlling what casting directors and agents can see. No one can comment or post messages on your profile or pictures and each member has an individual password to update their information which makes it harder for someone to ‘hack’ into their profile and change/update information without the person knowing. In Facebook terms this is called ‘Face Rape’ which is a common thing on sites such as these but sites such as Spotlight and StarNow come across as being well protected from such things.
IMDb (Internet Movie Datebase) is a another site  which you can use to advertise yourself within the theatre, film and TV industry. Again each individual has a profile in which directors, producers etc. can view pictures and information about a certain artist.
On this particular site you can view top actors and actresses within the film and television industry such as Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren for example. You find out what productions they are currently working on and see what is to come. Their biographies are posted on the site along with a filmography and some personal details such as birth place and date, height, agent information and any awards. Pictures, trailers and snapshots of film are also on there to advertise and promote the artist. I believe that someone of Johnny Depp’s position will not update their profile themselves but it will be done through a very close source if not a professional from the site itself.
You can check out anyone really and it’s such a good way to find out what you’re favourite actor is up to and also to show for yourself what you are doing and working on.
As this site is full of celebrity’s and very high prolific people it is obvious that the security is very tight as no one can update or change their information.
The link below is how you can create your own IMDb resume (profile)....
It also helps you find out what’s going in the film and television industry – giving you information on the latest releases and it’s a great way of advertising and promoting films on the net. You can watch trailers and check out what’s at the top of the box office list! I’m not too sure what the price to be a member of this site is and when I researched it I wasn’t able to find it.
Overall, these sites are a great tool for promoting and advertising yourself within the entertainment profession as casting directors, producers, choreographers and agents know that the people on these sites are professionals and their information is viewed for professional purposes only which makes us confident when we’re typing our contact details and adding pictures to our profiles that some total weirdo is not viewing and writing comments about us. Our information is used to help us gain experience in the industry and to help us get auditions and castings so we get ourselves noticed and take that very important and exciting first step on the ladder!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily.

    I also think Spotlight is a great way to promote yourself and have also been signed up before when I first graduated. It's a great way to see what auditions are coming up and different productions if you don't have an agent.
    How do you find StarNow? I've never used that one..

    I really like the IMDb website! I had never heard of this before but I checked out the website and it's really interesting to read. A great way to be inspired after you read all the profile's on there!!!

    I also work for Royal Caribbean... =) I'm going back out to Miami very soon too so maybe I will see you!! Let me know when you hear from them or if you have any questions feel free to ask... Oh and don't be afraid to CALL THEM if it's past the first 4/5 weeks when they say not to contact them in the booklet that they gave you at the audition. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete