Search This Blog

Thursday 21 October 2010

Skype

Checked out “Skype” today which is a software package that allows users to make voice calls over the internet. Calls to other Skype users are free but a fee is paid for calls to landlines and mobile phones. It has additional features of instant messaging and video conferencing. Registered users can communicate through instant messaging and voice chat. It is a secure way of communication.
Video conferencing is similar to the popular video phones where you can call anyone around the world and not only speak with them, but see them on your computer or television screen during the conversation. The difference is that video conferencing is intended to work for larger conferences rather than serving the needs of individual consumers, often using closed circuit television.


I’m not too sure I would find it cost effective in my profession as a self-employed dancer. Agents normally text or phone with audition details and job interviews are in the form of an audition. Dance agencies contact with job details via email.
I can see this may be useful for me to keep in touch with my family whilst on board a cruise ship but you have to ensure the recipient also has Skype otherwise it is expensive. I think in my profession I would be better off with a video phone.  
Has anyone else had any experience with Skype?.....

I can see this will be a very useful tool for businesses for video conferencing especially if they are a global company as they can discuss business securely by computer without fear of a security breach and it allows large rooms of people at different locations to interact effectively to create a full conference with everyone able to see and hear perfectly.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! Just wanted to pass on some advice... indeed, Skype is a fantastic tool to keep in touch when we are away, but I have found that on some Cruise Lines, the Communication Officer does not allow Skype to run through the ships satellite. They say the bandwidth is too wide and slows the system although we know really they want us to purchase the ships phone cards! Lol, I don't know how it will be on your ship but may I suggest downloading Yahoo Messenger. It works in exactly the same way as Skype but I have never had a problem with this on a ship. It actually runs much faster than Skype and doesn't 'break up' like Skype. Hope you find this helpful x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I also like Alana have experienced some problem's trying to use Skype on a ship! I think it's different on every one though because I've had it work on all but one of my ships! So it really depend's on the ship communication officer.
    It's a GREAT tool though, it's so easy to dowload and most people already have it or can get it easily. I've found travelling to so many different places on a ship, Skype is the only thing that's always available. I have an american phone and an English one but as soon as i port out of anywhere different I have no way to be contacted. I wouldn't suggest just a video phone, as it will get REALLY expensive really quick...
    Hope this is of some help! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily, I have used Skype a lot as my husband is South African and i am part American and so have lots of friends and family in foreign parts. I have found it great for keeping in touch with them and have encountered no problems other then the slow internet in SA which is not Skype's fault. I also have Skype on my mobile which is great because it means that my friends and family abroad can get in touch with me at any time and it won't cost me or them anything. I have not really used in a professional way but my father, who is a recently semi retired CEO of a software company often uses it when he wants to communicate to someone 'face to face' as he now lives on a island in Scotland and it is often difficult to actually do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your feedback on this! It's been a great help.
    I'll have a look into Yahoo Messenger and I may have a play around with Skype myself as I'm wanting to experiment with all different ways to keep in touch whilst I'm away.
    I'm still a great believer in the old fashioned email way... But Skype sounds like a good tool for you to keep in touch in a more personal way. I still think that in my profession as a dancer I wouldn't use Skype but for friends and family it will probably be of great use.
    My only problem would be with my internet connection as I am currently on a T-Mobile dongle and I'm always having trouble with my internet connection and it quite often dies and has to restart but hopefully when I start work on a ship somewhere I will be able to use the connections on board.
    Thanks again for your comments! Very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete