Search This Blog

Friday 22 October 2010

"Oh boy, did you read the news today?"

I was going to have a day off thinking and reflecting about blogs, Facebook, Web 2.0, pros or cons and anything remotely cyber or virtual today as I felt a little “blogged out” last night. I’ve been surfing and researching and blogging quite a lot this week. Needed to give the brain a “virtual” rest I thought.  I had arranged to meet a friend for lunch for a good old fashioned face to face girlie chat/catch up/gossip over pizza and a glass of wine with no computer anywhere in sight, my preferred way of social networking.

(Of course we have been socially networking and keeping in touch by Facebook over the last year since we last met up and did arrange our lunch date via Facebook!)

So I got myself ready this morning and went to catch the bus into town and as always picked up my free Metro paper to read on the journey …………………..


Headline,Front page story -  “Oi you’ve been nicked!”
BBC political editor Nick Robinson lost his cool when he confronted a protester who interrupted a live broadcast. The journalist smashed the man’s banner – and the incident promptly appeared on You Tube.”
The story continued with pictures from You Tube on pages 4 and 5, another protester had filmed the incident and posted it on You Tube.
“Robinson wrote on his blog…………………. ‘I lost my temper and I regret that ’ ……………………………………………………………………………”


Page 3 -  “She’s pops biggest draw!”
“She’s young, she’s got blue/green hair and she’s one of the biggest pop stars on the planet.
Unfortunately, she isn’t able to comment on her success because she doesn’t exist.
Meet Japanese sensation Hatsume Miku. Strictly speaking you can’t meet her at all – she’s a hologram.
Miku is a computer application but that hasn’t stopped her conquering the music world by playing to thousands at live concerts and getting millions of hits on You Tube.
Technically she is a virtual music synthesiser programme which uses technology called Vocaloid to allow PC users to create their own music………………
……………………………………………………………………………….
She rose to popularity through the website Nico Nico Douga (smile smile video) a Japanese equivalent of You Tube. ……………………………………………..
………………………………………………………………………………….
Buoyed by her on line success the makers have brought her to the stage. She played her first gig projected as a 3D Hologram to the audience in Gorillaz style…………
…………………………………………………………………………………………
‘Watching Miku sing live is pretty amazing’ wrote one blogger ………………..”  Really???



Page 12 – “My blog is mostly fiction, MP tells expenses enquiry”.“A conservative MP said she wrote ‘mostly fiction’ on her blog to reassure constituents about how hard she was working. ……………………….
……………………………………………………………………………
She was then challenged over posts on her blog………………………. .
…………………………………………………………………………….
….she replied: ‘My blog is 70 per cent fiction and 30 per cent fact”. 


Page 35 – “I’m not too sexy for class, says teacher”.
“A beauty queen turned teacher has been accused of being ‘too attractive’. Former model Ileana Tacconelli, who has three university degrees, caused a rumpus after video footage of her in hot pants and a bra and photos of her posing in a sexy police uniform were posted on the web.
One set of parents even pulled their 12 year old daughter from the Roman Catholic school…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………”


If anyone didn’t catch any of these stories and would like to of course you can read them on line via the following link

or you can check out Nick Robinson, Miku or  Ileana  on You Tube.


Metro also has a Twitter account where you can leave a comment on any of these stories!!

So, in spite of myself, I spent the rest of my journey to Leeds reflecting on these stories.
The highly respected political editor of the BBC seen loosing his temper on You Tube  and having to apologise on his blog , who will probably be remembered for this one incident and not all the other good reporting work he’s done for many years on important political issues.....
....the cyber world of Miku  - how must we feel as performers (musicians/singers/dancers) after all our years of training to see a virtual character  created on a computer screen getting way more success than us and should we be afraid for the future of “real” entertainment disappearing altogether like in Ben Elton’s Planet Mall.....
....the MP who admits 70% of her blog is fiction and is found guilty of misleading her voters - can we truly believe anything we read posted by anyone and how this shows that the vulnerable can be easily misled and finally
....the teacher who may face loosing her chosen career because someone has posted saucy pictures and videos of her on the net.
Oh, and by the way, the girl sat next to me was checking her Facebook account and updated her profile and status via her phone whilst on the bus…………………

So much for my virtual free day ……………………… no escape!  
Just had to get home and get “blogging!”

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great content analysis!
    I did a wordle of your blog. A wordle is tag cloud based on the words in your blog. As you have posted a lot of really interesting content, it was interesting what words came out most frequently in your post.

    Anyone can do a wordle of their blog (http://www.wordle.net)

    here is yours emily
    http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/2630956/BAPP_blog_wordle

    the key words were information, people and networking. These are the key words in most of web 2.0 discussions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emily
    Great blog. I like to look at things up-side-down sometimes......, your blog seems to say that the internet is 'following' you but also think about the idea that we "notice the things we value". Maybe you are starting to think about the internet more, so you notice it more. The "notice what we value" idea also leads to the idea that "we can't see what we don't value". What to you think? As part of your reflective diary, practice it might be fun to think of something at the start of the day and then see if things about it come to you during the day like the internet did.

    In dance Nicolai and Murray talk about 'Graining' in movement. that is the intent of the movement (not just the movement itself). I wonder if we can "Grain" our day, when we reflect. Or on the other hand start to be open to what the day is going to teach us by just observing what we notice. Cool!
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  4. From my own perspective I don’t think I would have noticed there were so many stories in that one newspaper connected with references to the internet had I not been doing this course and analysing the Web so closely. Your statement, “I’m thinking about it more, so I notice it more” is perfectly true. Each story I came to had so much more significance to me than it would ever have had before. I think this was the very point I was trying to make. I don’t think I felt the internet was “following” me but that it is a significant part of our lives and is everywhere. I think it reiterated to me just how important and influential the internet is in our modern world and so if we are thinking of using that in some way to help us in our professional lives it could be very powerful indeed.

    ReplyDelete